Monday 29 December 2014

Bellas are getting Inked! Part 1

It is the general feeling that getting tattooed is a far more accepted and a more common happening than it was even ten years ago, in specific regards to Western civilization. Tattoos are no longer only found on the arms of sailors or veterans, they are an expression of self, of remembrance of experiences: they are art.

As with any art; the appreciation of such is hugely personal. The Bellas have found a certain lack of artistic appreciation from our mothers... this is most unfortunate - however understandable it may be as a result of the very large generation gaps in our families.

Aside from that snag we do hope you enjoy these two accounts Part 1 and Part 2 of us getting our first work done, in two completely different situations, studios and by different artists.

Word from Bubbly Bella:

Being a working girl, I knew that my tattoo could not be put on my forehead. Especially working with children, most school and companies are quite sticky on tattoos; thus I chose the base of my neck for placement, it is easily concealable and it still allows for the addition of the back into the canvas.

Having given a lot of thought to my tattoo (far more than usual for most things) I chose the design of a rose, because I like roses and because it is my lovely mother’s name. Since having the initial work done I have decided to create an entire garden down my back - it will be many more musings and decades in the making.

After the first attempt at sullying my virgin skin was thwarted by ESKOM and their uselessness, we suited up and headed the near 100 odd kilometres out to Boksburg again…..yay!


On the way over I was thinking: “okay, this is a bad idea, its forever, what happens if you get it done and then hate it in 2 and a half days’ time like with your nail polish choices (EVERYTIME)” but I was driving so I had to act cool.


Upon arrival, we chatted to Candi for a few minutes and then palms perspiring, knees knocking, I climbed up onto the table. She applied the outline of my design to the small of my neck and got her needle buzzing. Brainy Bella reminded me that we could go home.


An artsy photo

As Candi worked Brainy Bella tried to get artsy photographs taken for the blog - it is harder than it looks when so many components of your picture are moving.

At first the tattoo application felt like an epilator hair removal session and then after a while it turned into a really awesome deep massage feeling. The shading in of the coloured area was the most painful part of the entire design and because it is only a few centimetres big the whole experience took 20 minutes.


Candi left us with care instructions and well wishes to go to her initial weigh-in of a charity challenge she was doing against a local DJ. (On a side note at the end of that challenge she lost 14kgs - Well done Candi!)

The ensuing weeks of care and scabbing etc. were a fascination at every step, and due to this being a much post-dated blog, I can safely say that it has been nearly 6 months since I last got inked and I am completely in love with my body art still - from the time that needle first touched my skin to now I have never experienced any regret over my decision and I can’t wait to add more to the canvas that is my body.

Much love and light to you all! 
Bubbly Bella
xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment